Archive for March, 2018
There are so many awesome puppy breeds in both categories, it can be hard to know which way to go!
There’s a great debate within the dog buying/owning community as to whether one should own hybrid puppies or purebred puppies. So what’s the difference? Purebred puppies are dogs that have been carefully bred to produce offspring with identical characteristics and traits of the parent breeds. Hybrid puppies are a cross between two pure breed dogs. This really is a personal decision that should be made. At the end of the day, we really recognize that either choice is arguably a sound and reasonable one based on many factors. Neither is right or wrong but rather based on an individual preference for each owner’s lifestyle. To help you make a choice, we’ve compiled some of the most commonly asked questions regarding hybrid puppies or purebred puppies.
Are purebred puppies healthier?
Most hybrid puppies are pretty unpredictable in a lot ways, from their size to their haircoats! Purebreds are tested for issues usually known to affect the breed. This is to ensure only healthy dogs are being bred. Most diseases are being detected and eradicated this way. When breeds are crossed, it creates hybrid puppies with unknown results, thus they really can’t be tested in advance. However, it should be said that hybrid puppies are relatively healthier than their purebred brethren.
What are the temperaments of purebred puppies?
Now with this question, the answer is easier to answer and relatively straightforward. Purebred puppies possess a temperament that’s fairly predictable based on breed standards. Hybrid dogs have a few question marks attached to them! For most hybrid puppies, you get characteristics from both parents, but it’s impossible to tell exactly how they’ll turn out.
Are there hypoallergenic purebred dogs?
Technically, there’s no such thing as a 100% hypoallergenic dog. There are, however, low-to-no shedding dogs with little-to-no amounts of dander. Hybrid puppies that are a cross of two or more breeds may or may not grow into a low shedding adult dog. It’s kind of a toss up.
What’s the verdict?
As we mentioned previously, this is a personal choice. People who own and love dogs are passionate about them. Some may favor one breed over the other. Ultimately, all dogs are wonderful and beautiful in their own rite and whichever you choose to own depends on your lifestyle. What’s most important is that any dog purchased or should be done with reputable breeders and research should always be conducted to ensure that your puppies have the healthiest and happiest life with you!
The post Hmmm…Which Are Best, Hybrid Puppies or Purebred Puppies? appeared first on Petland Blog.
Yorkie Poo Puppies for Sale: A Lot of Cuteness in a Little Package!
Gentle and cute, the Yorkie Poo is one of the most popular designer pet breeds for dog lovers. There are Yorkie Poo puppies for sale almost everywhere but the question remains, is this dog breed the ideal breed for you and your family? Here at Petland, we believe that the Yorkie poo can an ideal furry family member for many different types of people. That’s why we are always matching our Yorkie poo puppers with their furrr-ever homes in our store!
Check out these Yorkie Poo traits and see for yourself if this is the ideal next pet.
- The Yorkie Poo is what’s called a “designer breed” and the product of a Yorkshire terrier and a Miniature Poodle. One of the main reasons was to eliminate the pet dander that comes along with dogs, so the breed would be better suited for people with allergies or asthma.
- This breed is very intelligent and can follow commands closely. It trains well, but needs consistency and a firm training hand. You must be patient, the Yorkie poo can be a saucy breed!
- Regular grooming is needed to keep its fur in tip top shape. It is the ideal pet for people who don’t want to deal with pet fur at home or in their cars.
- This is the ideal pet for first time dog owners, since it trains easily and needs only moderate grooming maintenance.
- Yorkie poos are good with kids. It will play with them, is energetic and affectionate. It is also good with other pets and animals at home.
- This breed is very loyal too and will do all it can to protect its owners despite its size. It can be depended on to bark or warn owners of intruders.
- This breed is all out fun! You can take it anywhere and does not need a large yard to play. It is suitable for people who live in a small house or apartment.
A Yorkie Poo might just be the breed you have been looking for so take that leap and bring home a new friend! Check out all of our adorable Yorkie poo puppies for sale on our available puppies page, right here! Want more information? No problem! Give us a call today and our caring, knowledgeable Pet Counselors can answer any questions you might have about taking home one of our puppies!
Australian Shepherd Puppies for Sale Are Great Additions to any Active Family!
If you are looking at Australian Shepherd puppies for sale, you need to be up-to-date on the personality of this athletic breed. Here at Petland, we encounter people from all walks of life and we believe that there is a perfect breed for everyone! That being said, there are breeds out there that can work in many environments and ones that need a specific lifestyle to keep them (and their owners!) happy. The Australian Shepherd is one of those breeds that needs to belong to a certain kind of family, and this is not a bad thing! It just means that they will fit better with the right fur-ever family.
An Australian Shepherd is an adaptable and agile breed that is perfect for herding livestock. This dog is the staple of ranches and farms because it can herd sheep, cows, chickens and even kids! This dog is very intelligent and excels in many dog competitions. It is available in a variety of colors, namely black and tan, red merle, blue merle and red/chocolate.
Here is some additional information on this majestic breed:
- This breed needs regular brushing to make sure that its lovely coat stays shiny and healthy. Some people prefer to groom them, but their coats aren’t prone to matting or snarling.
- The Australian Shepherd is extremely easy to train, learning and remembering commands quickly and at an early age. This makes this breed one of the best sheep dogs in the planet!
- It is one of the best watchdogs since it can alert its owners for any intruder and will fearlessly guard its owner and his family. This dog is very loyal and will even risk its life to defend its owner.
- It is the ideal dog for people who love to exercise because it loves to run, play and move!
- The Aussie will not do well in a confined apartment, they need exercise and stimulation or they can be destructive.
- This dog is perfect for kids and will be playful and affectionate towards children. The Aussie will also work well with other pets, as they are not typically dominant or aggressive.
- This dog is for committed owners who love to train and maintain their pets. They may not do well for first time owners without a consistent training regimen.
We hope that you’ve enjoyed learning about one of our favorite breeds! If you think the Aussie can fit seamlessly into your family, check out our adorable Australian Shepherd puppies for sale on our available puppies page. Got more questions? We’ve got answers! Give us a call today and our dedicated, knowledgeable Pet Counselors can help you with any questions you may have.
The post Australian Shepherd Puppies for Sale: Say Hello to Your New Workout Partner! appeared first on Petland Blog.
Akita Puppies for Sale: Find Out More About this Handsome and Courageous Breed!
So you’re interested in Akita puppies for sale? Before you decide on this breed being the best choice for your family, check out the different characteristics and traits of an Akita dog. The Akita can be a tough breed to track down, as it is fairly uncommon. Past the Akita’s beautiful looks, many people aren’t as familiar with their personalities and that’s where this blog comes in! Here at Petland, we strive to make sure that every breed we send home matches their new owner’s personality and lifestyle, because that’s how you make lasting pet friendships!
An Akita Inu may be called Great Japanese Dog, Japanese Akita or American Akita and are renowned for their amazing intelligence. An Akita dog may easily become bored because it is very intelligent and therefore constant interaction and training is a must.
Here are some more tidbits about the Akita:
- This breed does not require regular grooming despite its thick fur. It does not need trimming, but it has to be brushed regularly to keep its coat shiny and healthy.
- This dog is very easy to train, but needs regular reinforcement training to learn additional tricks and commands.
- It is one of the best watchdogs since it will bark to alert its owners that there is an intruder or if there is danger, otherwise it is very quiet.
- The Akita can protect its family and will act fearless when there is an attack. It is said that it will do all it can to protect its owners and family.
- This is the dog for fitness lovers since it needs regular exercise. It will accompany you to hikes, jogs and walks and will run with you if you want it to!
- This dog is perfect for highly engaged and experienced pet owners.
- This breed is good with children because it is playful and energetic.
- An Akita does better in a larger space, but with frequent exercise it can do well in an apartment or condo.
So, you still think this breed is for you? Check out our available puppies page to see all of our Akita puppies for sale! Don’t see the color or gender you’re looking for? No problem! We can always find exactly what you’re looking for from one of our caring, reputable breeders, just give us a call today!
The post Akita Puppies for Sale – Have You Seen This Elegant and Beautiful Breed? appeared first on Petland Blog.
Searching for Pomsky puppies for sale? Check out more about this family-friendly breed!
A Pomsky is an adorable cross between a Siberian Husky and a Pomeranian. These dogs weigh about 20 to 30 pounds and have a height from 10 to 15 inches. The puppies were extremely popular in 2016, and they have a good lifespan of 13 to 16 years. People are drawn to the small Siberian Husky look of the dog. Generally, the crossing includes a female Siberian Husky and a male Pomeranian, to avoid birthing complications in the mother. Petland always has the Pomsky for sale! Just check out our available puppies page!
What do Pomskies look like?
The looks of a Pomsky can vary between two pups but that’s what makes them so charming. Their eyes are often a light to medium blue color. They can have a pure white with black coat, all-white coat, white with brown coat or variations of grey. Breeders are still working on perfecting their look. A Pomsky has ears that are triangular and pointy with a black nose tip.
Fitting a Pomsky puppy in your life
This Pomsky breed is full of energy, and very loving and playful, but no two dogs will ever be alike. Generally, they inherit the personality traits of both the Pomeranian and the Siberian Husky. They are also highly intelligent, and can easily be trained through reward methods.
There may be some that inherit the Pomeranian’s stubbornness, but if you remain calm and patient they’ll learn through your assertive leadership. A puppy would best suit a family with older children, single people, and seniors. They are a good choice for a small house or apartment. If you are considering a Pomsky for sale you should also allow your budget to include a high quality dry kibble which can provide the extra nutrition this energetic dog requires.
Want to learn more about this precocious breed? Give us a call to talk with our knowledgeable pet counselors and schedule your appointment to see all of our adorable Pomsky puppies for sale today! Want to check out all the puppies we have, just click here!
Corgi Puppies for Sale – Great for Families!
Are you looking for Corgi puppies for sale? Before you look for pups for sale find out if this breed is the right one for you. There are many qualities of a corgi that makes it stand out from a number of dog breeds. Here at Petland, we love the Corgi so much that we always have Corgi puppies for sale, check them out right here!
Here are some lovable Corgi facts for you:
- A Corgi is most-loved because it is sturdy, low-set and cute. It is one of the most popular house dog breeds that are found almost everywhere.
- The Corgi is also known as the Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Pem, Pembroke or the PWC.
- This dog is one of the most common competitors in dog shows and it excels in herding, obedience and conformation.
- The Pembroke Corgi is a separate breed from the Cardigan Corgi which is shorter and straighter.
- This dog needs infrequent grooming but it must be trimmed or stripped occasionally to make its coat shiny and healthy. Make sure to brush often and since it sheds, you might need to vacuum more often.
- This dog is alert and will listen to commands. It obeys very quickly and will remember commands as well. You don’t need to repeat commands often than any other breeds.
- This dog is a perfect watchdog because it will bark and will alert its owners if there is an intruder and if there is imminent danger.
- A Corgi is very protective and will do its best to protect its master. But due to its cute nature, it could be completely overlooked by an intruder, oh well! We still love them!
- This dog is ideal for people who live in an apartment since it is small and does not need a large yard to roam.
- If you live an active life this dog is ideal for you. It will need regular walks and will come with you during runs and hikes.
Do you think the Corgi could be the right breed of puppy for you and your family? Call us and make an appointment to see all of our adorable puppies today!
Pug Puppies for Sale – Your New Best Friend is Waiting for You!
Are you looking for Pug puppies for sale? We think they are a great choice for families! Aside from being very cute and very eager to please, a pug has all these qualities. Eager to check out our adorable Pug puppies for sale? Here is our available puppies page, complete with pictures and breed information!
- A Pug is playful and outgoing. This dog is very loyal and loving as well. All these good characteristics make it a perfect companion dog.
- The Pug has a square body and has a recognizable dark mask over its face. It comes in fawn, apricot fawn, silver fawn and black.
- This dog needs minimal grooming and thus it does not need stripping or trimming. The only thing you need to do is to brush its coat every day since it is a shedding breed.
- A Pug can be difficult to train if you don’t have a firm hand with it’s education. You might need to repeat commands and make sure that you employ consistency and patience so that it can learn quickly.
- This dog is not too active and, in fact, it could develop health issues like obesity if they don’t get minimal exercise. It is therefore suitable for people who have a laid-back kind of life.
- This dog is ideal for people who live in small apartments. Owners who are not at home often may find this dog the best companion.
- You don’t need to take this outdoors for exercise and although it is eager to please, it will not go out or run if it does not want to.
- This dog is ideal for families with kids because it’s playful, energetic and very affectionate. It is also a great dog to have around with other pets.
So are you certain that a Pug is for you? Give our knowledgeable Pet Counselors a call today to book an appointment to come and see our Pug puppies for sale in person!
We know that the first few months of owning a new puppy are sometimes the hardest, but we promise it’s worth it!
Sticking to a training schedule and teaching your newest family member right from wrong is a long process, no matter how much your love your pup! That’s why some breeds are better than others for not only brand new owners, but also people who haven’t owned or trained a new puppy in a while. Check out our list of easy to train dog breeds to see if any of them might be a match for you! Did you know Petland has puppies for sale? Check them out here!
The Boisterous Boxer
The Boxer is a great choice for families as they have a caring, protective nature. They are also very smart and relish the opportunity to please their owners. Boxers learn quickly and are happy to follow commands.
The Courageous Corgi
They may be little in stature, but Pembroke Welsh corgis are big on personality. Smart and sensitive, loving and loyal, Pembrokes enjoy the mental challenge intrinsic to training. And since they are naturally such hard workers, these short-legged little fellows tend to bear down until they’ve mastered whatever they’re tackling. Just think of them as proof big things do come in small packages.
The Loyal Labrador
It’s no wonder why the Lab is always at the top of the list for most popular dog breeds. They are hard-working, easy to train and do great with all types of families. The Lab is also fiercely intelligent and takes to training very quickly.
The Grand German Shepherd
There’s many reasons why Germans are often tapped for police dogs or search and rescue professionals, but being highly intelligent is a big one! This is also another breed that does very well in a family setting and are very protective of their people. And the quickness with which they pick up commands is astounding!
The Sweet Shetland Sheepdog
It isn’t just the fact that Shetland sheepdogs look like mini-Lassies that makes them so appealing — this breed also happens to be highly adaptable to just about any given situation. Shelties are also extremely keen and reach their highest potential as a companion animal when they are given the opportunity to excel at training.
This is only a short list of easy to train dog breeds! There are so many more to choose from! Let our dedicated Pet Counselors help you find the perfect match for your family, after all, that’s what we specialize in!
Many people know about Shih Tzus, but what of their storied past? Read on for more!
Hello lovelies and welcome to our newest blog! We hope you’re ready and raring to go about our latest subject, the mysterious, yet lovable, Shih Tzu! We’ve done several breeds already, but this one really tugs at our heart strings! This breed has been around for a very long time and once you take a look at this blog, you’ll know why!
The Shih Tzu is formally the Tibetan Shih Tzu Kou.
Contrary to popular belief, the Shih Tzu does not originate in China, but in Tibet. The Tibetan monks considered the Shih Tzu holy and kept them in their temples. The Shih Tzu worked alongside the monks, functioning as alarm or guard dogs and even turning prayer wheels in daily Buddhist rituals. They were then sent to Chinese emperors as gifts, thus giving them their Chinese name. In the Chinese language, Shih Tzu means “Lion Dog”, as much for its features as its strength of character. They also earned the moniker of “chrysanthemum-faced dog”, which refers to the way the hair grows outwards from the center of the dog’s face.
Shih Tzus have been around the block, a couple times.
As one of the oldest breeds in existence, the Shih Tzu’s origins are shrouded in mystery and it’s hard to pin down exactly when they came about. The earliest definitive traces of the breed are Chinese paintings circa 500 AD and also documents describing these dogs being gifted for the second time from China to the Byzantine Empire. Much later, they became the official breed of the illustrious Ming dynasty, who kept them as pets for the royal family for centuries. However, the Shih Tzu very nearly went extinct in China after the Communist Revolution.
Sooooo, how did they get here, in America?
Because the breed was declining in China, a few citizens of the U.K. wanted to preserve the breed by importing them into the country in the 1930s. This importation essentially saved the breed, as all modern day Shih Tzus can be traced to the original 14 dogs brought from China to England. It was actually American soldiers who brought the Shih Tzu back to America after World War II, where they quickly gained popularity amongst the people. The Shih Tzu breed was then recognized by the AKC in 1969 and currently holds 20th place for most popular breed in America.
Interesting in finding out more about the Shih Tzu puppies for sale in our store? Check out our available puppies page to see all of our precious Shih Tzu puppies for sale!
Let’s learn more about the famous “Weenie Dog”!
Hello again all you dog lovers! Time for the next installment of our blog! The pup we’re thinking of this week is a quirky-shaped, fiercely loyal dog with a big personality in a small package. Do you know which breed it is yet? The Dachshund! That’s right, the Dachshund has long been a popular breed in its 300 year history with famous owners such as Andy Warhol, Picasso and Queen Victoria. They were also the first Olympic mascot for the Munich Games in 1972! So read ahead for more interesting facts about this spunky little breed. Petland always has Dachshund puppies for sale!
So. Many. Kinds.
The AKC first recognized the Dachshund breed in 1885 and they were originally only black and tan and one size. However, since then, the Dachshund has become one of the breeds that have the most varieties recognized. The Dachshund comes in 12 standard colors and three different kinds of markings. They also have two accepted sizes, standard and miniature and their coats can be smooth, long or wire-haired. That’s a lot of choices for a new owner!
So, what’s with the “hot dog” body?
Because of the Dachshund’s unique shape, it makes it one of the most recognized breeds out there. However, they weren’t bred this way for cuteness! Over 300 years ago, they were originally bred to hunt badgers. Their name literally means “badger dog” in German. Their short legs and fierce nature allow them to enter badger dens and take on animals larger than they are in the small spaces. And as far as the body is concerned, it has been said that the modern day hot dog is, in fact, named after this spunky little breed as they were the favored companion of German butchers!
Dachshunds are a formidable breed.
In addition to being currently 11th most popular breed in America, they have many qualities that make them a great companion. They are rated as the smallest hound dogs and make wonderful rodent hunters. They also serve as exceptional guard dogs, alerting family members to possible intruders (or the occasional mailman). And, finally, they are well known for their athleticism and courage, which made them a perfect mascot for the Olympic Games!
Interested in finding out more about the Dachshund puppies for sale in our store? Check out our available puppies page to see all of our adorable Dachshund puppies for sale!